New York Collection Abuse Lawyer
Collection Abuse Defense: Your Rights
If you feel victimized by collection abuse, you probably were. Federal, state, and city laws exist to guard against that abuse. These consumer-oriented laws generously protect you, and could require your collector to pay you legal fees and damages.
Some strictly prohibited practices include:
- Calling family, friends or neighbors
- Calling your place of work to harass you
- Threatening lawsuits, garnishments, liens or having you arrested
- Insulting, yelling at you or harassing you
- Using profanity
- Misleading you with confusing letters or calls
- Suing you without supporting evidence
- Suing you intentionally at an incorrect address
- Suing you without supporting evidence of debt ownership and the correct amount
- Placing inaccurate information on your credit report
These violations are rampant. Save all letters and legal papers. Record all voicemails (I've found "GoogleVoice" to be an effective recording tool). Voicemails are powerful evidence.
Catching collectors or lawyers violating these laws is good leverage used in fighting the underlying debt.
Contact a New York collection abuse lawyer from the firm today.